Termite Chronicles

Welcome to the Termite Chronicles your vicarious experience through my house rehab trials and tribulations...you will leave exhausted. I promise.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Breakfast And Sunday Morning

I have to admit that my favorite meal of the day is breakfast, especially on Sunday morning. This day I treat myself to my favorite, ditching the instant oatmeal and banana for two eggs over medium, hashbrowns with onion, and tomato and avocado slices. Hmmmmm. Eating it all on my bed while listening to public radio's morning programs. I feel spoiled and just damn lucky to be alive.

I make my breakfast, probably in the most despicable kitchen you have ever seen in our modern world. The kitchen sits at the end of the bottom of the "T" or at the rear of the house of my "T" shaped farmhouse, an addition, so I was told by one of my neighbors. The sink is an old porcelain one-piece given to me by my friend, John. One of my graduate school pals, Dave, helped me build a 2 x 4 frame to support it and connected the plumbing.  The floors are heart-shaped pine with the varnish completely worn off. The walls are undoubtedly horse-hair plaster, crumbling in some places with wallpaper painted over and peeling. Plaster dust flotsam is airborne and you are nauseated by the horrific egg-yolk wall color faux finished in baby blue. The only window fell out a long time ago and was replaced by an inadequate storm.  The wiring looks vintage 1960s with a fuse box remaining in the kitchen.

On that long weekend, when Dave was helping me with the sink, we installed a few new grounded wire circuits from the new (yes, I said new) electrical panel in the cellar up through the crawlspace to the kitchen. This provided two circuits for my refrigerator, a hotplate and a microwave. There are no other appliances. I was able to bring the wires to the kitchen with the assistance of my first mate and talented dog, Sam. He quickly threaded the Romex wire through the crawlspace and up through the existing ax-cut hole in the kitchen floor. When Sam's head popped up through the floor he retrieved his well deserved hambone. Dave and I chuckled, "Sam, I am, green eggs and ham", while Sam darted off to some far unknown corner of the property to enjoy his reward.

The kitchen one day will get renovated and there is no ETA. It has put a cramp in my social life prohibiting my ability to entertain friends and family in the traditional sense...and probably has scared off many a man. This year I will entertain outside with a grill and chairs around a nighttime fire on the living room lawn. In the meantime I will continue to enjoy my favorite meal, Sunday breakfast.

And yes, I still feel spoiled and just damn lucky to be alive.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment